Neighbourhood Panel Update
Neighbourhood Panels are your opportunity to tell agencies working in your area what you would like to see improved and will ultimately make your locality a better place to live. The last Soham and East area Neighbourhood Panel meeting was held on Tuesday 4th October 2011and amongst other things, reported back on what we’ve been doing to address some of your issues of concern including:
Reducing ASB at the Barleyfields Estate, Soham
• Continued high visibility patrols by PCSOs and Police officers.
• Regular encounters with the known group of youths.
• Community Alcohol Programme patrols over several weekends.
• Several stop checks and stop searches conducted. Alcohol seized from local youths. Tobacco seized from local youths.
• Warrant under misuse of drugs act executed on High St. 2 arrested for production of cannabis.
• Meetings held with Town Council regarding bushes by Adizone with view to pruning lower for increased natural surveillance.
• Youth arrested for assault.
• Male arrested for harassment.
• Male searched on Hall Street, Cannabis located ticket issued.
• 8 Guardian Awareness Programme letters sent out.
• 3 ABCs completed successfully and one extended for three months
ASB in the Panel area from June – Aug 2011 stood at 124 incidents – a reduction of 50 incidents on the same period last year. Well done to Insp. Sissons and his team for such an impressive reduction – keep up the good work!
Reducing Inconsiderate and Obstructive Parking throughout Panel area
• 110 non-endorsable penalty tickets issued for various offences, obstruction, parking on double yellow lines, parking without disabled permit overstaying in limited waiting bays.
• 24 reports to the DVLA for out of date tax discs.
• Speed enforcement resulting in 2 endorsable penalty tickets issued.
• 1 drink driver arrested.
• 2 endorsable penalty tickets for mobile phone use, I reported for no MOT certificate, 1 reported for incorrect index plates, 2 section 59 warnings given
Some of the other issues that were addressed since the last Panel meeting were:
Issue: Vandalism at the Adizone, Barleyfields estate, Soham.
Action: The vandalised sign was replaced and positive activities were delivered at the Adizone over the summer.
Issue: Concern around infrastructure when building new developments
Action: The East Cambridgeshire Core Strategy sets out policies for managing development. There is a policy on density that says developments will be looked at on a site-by-site basis taking into account the character of a site and its surroundings. This should help to prevent over-development of individual sites. The Core Strategy also includes a policy stating that planning permission will not be granted for development unless there is sufficient infrastructure.
The vision contained in the Soham Masterplan is for one where future growth is employment led as far as possible, and with additional housing accompanied by appropriate infrastructure and community facilities. The masterplan examines how this could be implemented. Whilst the Masterplan is not a statutory planning document, it’s vision is being built into the current review of the District Council’s Core Strategy, which will eventually become the statutory Local Plan for the district. To view the Soham Masterplan visit the ECDC site and follow the following link: http://www.eastcambs.gov.uk/planning/masterplans
Issue: Chewing Gum and Litter in the Panel area
Action: Veolia carry out two weeks of jet-washing 4 times a year in Ely, Littleport and Soham to remove chewing gum. If any additional cleans are required outside of these areas specific locations need to be provided (e.g. Clay Street footpath outside numbers x to y). If residents think there are specific locations that need bins ECDC is always happy to investigate and fit if required, where specific locations are supplied.
Some of the issues you have asked us to address next
• Provide information about enforcement action that can be taken for fly tipping.
• Propose a change to the road ‘priority’ so that lorries have priority over the cars on the Ely rail crossing on the A142.
• Write to schools in the Panel area about parking issues and encourage walking to school where possible.
• Provide information about the issue of child poverty in the Soham area.
• Take action against people breaking the speed limit across the panel area.
• Improve the condition of specific footpaths in Soham.
Priorities for Action
The Panel agreed that the policing priorities for the 3 months to the end of December should be:
•Tackling Anti Social Behaviour at Barleyfields Estate, and Cloverfield Estate, Soham
•Reducing driving and parking offences across Panel Area
For further up-to-date information on the East Cambs Neighbourhood Panels use N in the A-Z section of the East Cambridgeshire District Council website: www.eastcambs.gov.uk